Play-Asia.com - Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions!

Google


Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Dantendo is Back!


Hello gamers, good news: Dantendo is back with a great review of the recently released Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. Below is the full review. Huge props again for Dantendo.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Released: September 20th, 2006
Developer: Square Enix

Well, if my review needed to be in one word, that would be "wow." Luckily, I can use more than one word. So "HOLY F@#% THIS GAME IS GREAT" sounds better. Here's why:

Graphics: Did you like LOZ: The Minish Cap? You should have, partly because the graphics were amazing, and Dragon Quest's visuals are very similar to Minish Cap. Somehow that simple design technique really goes a long way. All of the games wacky worlds are drawn up to perfection. Not that anyone should linger on a game's graphics, but I figured I should point this out.

Story: This is where Rocket Slime really captivated me. Anyone who is familiar with the Mario and Luigi series would understand what I'm talking about when I say the story is cleverly plotted out. There's a perfect blend of "oh my god the world is going to end" mixed in with tons of dragon quest humor. The only minor drawback to a story like this is that you won't get as much out of the story and the humor without having at least some prior Dragon Quest knowledge. Don't worry though, the story is simple and quite enjoyable no matter your prior knowledge.

Gameplay: Holy crap this game has a lot of guts. By that I mean you will spend countless hours collecting monsters, ammunition, and battling in tournaments. When you're done with that, you can give the hero's well a shot if you're feeling up to a challenge. I personally spent about 15-16 hours on the game, but that doesn't include the sidequests, so I hope you have some time on your hands.

Replay Value: You'll probably only play the story once, but you'll enjoy the sidequests enough to spend the extra time doing them. All in all I'd say there's low to moderate replay on this game. Only true hardcore fans will find themselves beating this game time and time again.

Overall: For the most part, this game has been rating pretty well (in the 8-9 range in most magazines) however, I feel that it's being underrated by just a bit. I personally would say it's closer to the 9-9.5 range. Games like this are the reason why the Nintendo DS is the clear handheld ruler, outselling the PSP by about 4 to 1. So go buy it now!

Labels: